For Teens Attending a Party:
- Know where your teen is.
- Get the address and phone number of the party host.
- Tell your teen to notify you if the party is somewhere else.
- Contact the host’s parents prior to the party.
- Verify the time, date and location.
- Make sure an adult will be present.
- Make sure alcohol and other drugs are prohibited.
- Offer to help chaperone.
- Know how your teen will get to and from the party.
- Make it easy for your teen to leave the party if he/she becomes uncomfortable. Provide your teen with phone numbers of other responsible adults in case you are unavailable.
- Emphasize that your teen should never accept a ride from someone who has been drinking. Ask them to call you or another adult for a safe ride home if one is not available.
- If your teen is staying the night with a friend after the party, check with the parents of the friend to verify the information.
- Make sure the parents have granted permission for the overnight stay.
- Make sure the parents will be home.
- Make sure you agree with the other parents on house rules, such as curfew.
For Teens Hosting a Party: